Traveling; Beginning

So I'm at Stony Point, New York for orientation. How did I get here? Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!

First, I drove to New Orleans. I spent six hours on the road from Memphis, the vast majority of which was spent on I-55. I get a certain satisfaction from my GPS saying "now drive straight for 250 miles." I get to turn my brain off.

In New Orleans, I met my five housemates, all of which are interesting and entertaining people. Two of them are named David, which with me makes three "Daves." We're looking for nicknames for each of us fervently. I played four games of "Skip Bo" and won two of them, humblebrag.

(awesome cookie cake)

I also went to church, and Sunday night we had home cooked jambalaya provided for us. Everyone has been very welcoming, and I can't wait to be a member of NOLA's Presbyterian community of faith.

Then Monday has been a lot of travel! We woke up around 4am and ubered to the airport. We flew to New Jersey, and took a train, a bus, and a van to Stony Point.

(self portrait, 2019)

Since getting to Stony Point, I've had a relatively peaceful experience. I walked a labyrinth, and in the center I prayed for God's help and presence with me this year. I've started meeting my fellow YAVs, who are passionate and diverse. And in the first worship service, we sang songs from around the world and passed around the peace of Christ.

I feel good. I like the people and I'm excited for the work. I feel closer to God than I have for a while.

(I love labyrinths)

Comments

  1. What an exciting adventure! Can't wait to hear more about your experiences! YAV rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The adventure begins! So excited to follow you this year! Keep those posts coming❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure! I'm so proud of you - if for nothing else, than enduring all that complicated travel. I also love labyrinths - there are 2 at SFTS! Enjoy Stony Point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - that was me, Aunt Wendy (SFTS is San Francisco Theological Seminary)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcomed by Communion